Re: Amateurs and ITEA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by not enough on May 21, 2003 at 11:47:59:

In Reply to: Amateurs and ITEA posted by Bart Collins on May 21, 2003 at 10:34:43:

Just recruiting new members is NOT ENOUGH. Over the years I've gotten many folks to become members. Most do not renew because ITEA does little for them. Who's really interested in reading in the journal about tons of recitals that have already happened and what was played. I'd certainly be interested in hearing about upcoming low brss concerts & recitals that I could come and listen to as well as provide an audience for the performer(s). As a performer I certainly have more fun with a packed house than an empty one.

The folks who run ITEA have given mostly lip service to the non-pro/non-academic player. In fact most of the folks who run and have run it are academics. If you have ever dealt with "academics" you quickly find out that they walk to a different beat than the rest of the world and really can't relate to "working people". I know lots of pros and don't think the problems of ITEC are caused or solved by my having face time with them at conferences.

ITEA seems to put no effort in creating & sustaining local chapters. Most strong national organizations derive much of their strength and vitality through active local chapters. This would give many members the opportunity to interact with other players both pro/academic/amateur and students. It would provide playing opportunites and educational opportunities.

Follow Ups: