Re: Re: Re: Marine auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cameron Gates on September 18, 2001 at 07:40:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marine auditions posted by Another Story on September 17, 2001 at 17:10:17:

<>

In Marine Band auditions there is NO practice of weighing a person before they play a note. A person is weighed ONCE they make the final round(s). Also, weight has nothing to do with the person PLAYING in the final round. I think the story you mention is not all that true. The first time I auditioned for the band I was probably 45 lbs over the weight limit for my height. I made the final round, played in the final round but did not win. Not once that day did anybody mention the fact that I was over the weight limit. I simply lost to a better player, Tom Holtz. Yes, Tom was below the weight limit, but so were the 3 other finalist that day if I recall correctly. Two years later when the next audition came around, I went on a diet and ran my ass off. I won and am still here.

With this audition, you must come prepared not only musically, but to an extent, physically. Simply get as close to the weight limit you can if you are over. When one considers how much time and effort we put in on the instrument, passing on junk food and a little exercise take very little time and effort at all. Think about how much weight a person can loose in the 2 1/2 months between now and Dec 3rd.

Cameron Gates
US Marine Band
Washington, DC

Follow Ups: