Re: oversize flight cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on September 18, 2003 at 12:39:45:

In Reply to: oversize flight cases posted by Mary Ann on September 18, 2003 at 09:49:38:

Believe it or not, this has been discussed here, Mary Ann!

I think the bigger problem is for a case designer to fit all the various sizes and configurations of tubas. I believe that Walt Johnson uses only 3 forms for his case shells. So to me, the bigger problem is trying to draw a box around any conceivable tuba layout.

Not being a mechanical engineer myself (Strength of Materials and Thermodynamics still engender the occasional school nightmare), I'll guardedly offer my own observation that the first thing to protect on a tuba is the bell--that is, when something gets mooshed when a horn gets kicked around, it's usually the bell.

I've wondered about taking a standard case to one of those packaging outfits that has a urethane foam packaging rig and letting them fill the case with a snug form-fitting urethane filler molded exactly to my tuba--maybe toss some fiberglass into the mix to provide some additional rigidity. Heck, if the tuba dealers can ship horns in a box that way, why not use it for travel?

It'd be hell on the velour lining, though.

Follow Ups: