MTV has done it now...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 29, 2003 at 07:59:50:

I know most of you guys didn't see this last night or let alone could even care but...

While flipping through channel last night I watched some of the VMA's on MTV, buring which a commercial for MTV came on. 1960's type cartoon representations of humans, the first being a guitar player with a "SEX" meter next to him. The meter red-lined. Next was a drummer, the meter bounced into the red but didn't stay. Then a TRUMPET (!!!) player came on. The meter went to mid point. I believe an accordian player was next, with a little worse results than the trumpet player. Then a male flautist came on. The meter just got up to the first indication mark.

At this point I thought it was over.

Then the obligitory tub(a)ist came on. The meter sat at the bottom until an electronic rendition of a tuba "sound" was made and the meter bounced just slightly off bottom. I laughed ashamedly. Then I though, well at least I hack around on the bass, I can get at least an average of the two scores?!

With all of the work that VH1 does for music in our schools program, you would think that MTV would back down from this rediculous humor, seeing as VH1 is MTV's "little sister". In fact one of our "American Idols", Ruben Studdard, was a lowly tuba player in high school. Another commercial came on later goofing on a horn player at a talent contest, nice stuff.

Too bad groups like "Papa Cockroach" have a lead singer that played Bass Clarinet (a supremely geeky instrument) in school. A lot of these other groups have similar situations with singers and instrumentalist having a "band" background. Oh well, I guess the folks at MTV think that someone just decides to become a musician and picks up the "geetar" and starts a band and gets a record contract with no musical skill. All groups have at least a little (term used liberally) musical skill or talent. It had to come from somewhere. Seeing as most high schools don't have "rock band" classes, choir, orchestra, and band are about the only formative, disciplined, and FREE (for the most part) training that students will have unless their parent lug them around to guitar lessons.

Oh well. I guess I better go pick up my 6-string and start practicing if I wanna' move up on the "sex meter". Just don't anyone tell my beautiful wife what I am doing.

Sorry for the rant.

Matt G

Follow Ups: