Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on July 15, 2001 at 19:27:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band? posted by Professional on July 15, 2001 at 16:15:15:

Hey guy/gal, anonymous or no, don't be so thin-skinned!

f.w.i.w. I was not "forced" to do field work in HS, I enjoyed it and I enjoyed it in college as well. My band teacher in HS was excellent both on the field and in the hall,
had been a professional tuba player in a service band (if soloing in the Army meets YOUR definition of professional) and I really do not know if I didn't want to march and concentrate on CC tuba playing if he'd have forced me to march or not.

The point of that post was to encourage that student to do what HE wanted to. And you know that's important that students when they ask advice be encouraged to work at making decisions for themselves. If you go back and read my advice to him, slowly, you'll see what I was trying to say, namely that the ones who push field work on a student when he/she wants to focus on their CC tuba are in fact NOT professionals, although they may call themselves such. Hence the "quotes."

I am sorry that wasn't clear, but since you wanna assume I have some condescending attitude about music teachers, you are making it personal to me! Some of my bestest
and dearest friends teach music, many of the people I went to college with teach music, many of the people I play with are teachers, and many of the people I've come to know through venues like this BBS are music teachers as well! In general I have developed a real respect for just about EVERY music teacher I've had the chance to play for, and genuine friendship with many of them.

I'd submit that if YOU feel some need to defend a particular group of "teachers" who would force field work on an extremely serious tuba student, and thus risk screwing up the very-hard-to-manage training track of the two-dozen or so young people with the talent and the timing to be well enough prepared when an audition happens AND stand a chance at winning it, THEN your "affiliation" is what has you uncomfortable, and NOT my suggestion that students who don't want to do field work should not be forced to.

f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: