Re: Polite tuba testing.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Retail Sympathiser on July 15, 2001 at 23:57:46:

In Reply to: Polite tuba testing. posted by Matt Walters on July 15, 2001 at 11:38:10:

All good points.

Again, please remember that the place that you are entering is a "store" (as in to "store" goods that are available for sale) and not an "exhibition", "hands-on museum", nor a "carnival". ALL of the tubas are the PERSONAL PROPERTY of the owner of the store. Realize how YOU react when others ask to handle and fiddle with your extremely valuable things. I (again, possibly not agreeing with Matt) see tuba owning as quite an extraordinarily specific decision...one that required SEVERAL choices on the way to making it. Tuba-buying is MUCH more of a specific decision than car-buying (as most EVERYONE needs some sort of car, and car-buying and car-financing are routine) or even boat or motorcycle buying (as the skills to operate these - unlike tubas - take only days or weeks to acquire and the showroom of the store actually CAN be a place where some "yes" or "no" decisions - and not just the "which one?" decisions may be made.) I stick with my statement below that if one is to go to a tuba store (generic) and fiddle with (possibly hundred$$ of thou$$and$$ of dollar$$ worth of) tubas, it is "polite" to be financially and otherwise ready to BUY a tuba, and not just a bottle of valve oil. Incidentally, if when trying tubas one DOES dent or scratch a tuba it is ONLY honorable to reimburse the storekeeper for the damage that you did to his property, and when he refuses you must INSIST that he accept a fair settlement ($100? $200? $300?) and "I will not leave the store until you accept it." is the only proper position to take in this case. This is also called "being a gentleman/lady" (stuff that is no longer much thought about, sort of like "table manners").

Follow Ups: