Polite tuba testing.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on July 15, 2001 at 11:38:10:

Someone commented about Anthony L's trip to Brasswind and the finger prints, etc., but not buying a horn right away. By the way, that was a nicely written post with well expressed opinions. But back to polite tuba testing.
Suggestions that help.
1) Introduce yourself. "Hello, I'm Joe College Student from somewhere."

2) Qualify yourself. "I'm looking to buy a 4/4 BBb tuba with 4 or 5 rotor valves and I would like to stay below whatever dollars." (Always leave yourself a little room on the budget you quote.) Or, "I'm just preliminary shopping for all around CC tubas. I'm planing to purchase in the fall."

3) Let them know how much attention you want. If you are a very independent person, say so. "If you could point out how the tubas are arranged, I'm very comfortable playing on my own and wouldn't want to waste your time." That is a polite way for someone to tell me he/she doesn't want me standing over their shoulder. Want some extra attention? Just say something like, "I'd appreciate if you would take some time and explain the different horns to me as I play them." Don't blame a salesman for too little or not enough attention if you didn't give them a hint.

4) Take off your watch and any other scratchy jewelry. Big belt buckles, rings, jackets with zippers, etc. It's not your horn, yet.

5) Take your time and be careful lifting and placing the tuba in your lap. Don't bang into things. You may feel like it, but you are NOT a kid in a candy store. I'd rather you drop a $1 candy than a $8,000 tuba.

6) Note where you found the horn and put it back in the same place and the same way. You don't borrow a neighbor's ladder then just throw it on his lawn when you are done.

7) Leave the attitude at home. The top pros are not at all cockey when they test different horns. You may be the best tubist at Mudwater State College, but the guys selling the horns have heard the same old excerpts played buy hundreds of better tubists. So don't try to impress the salesforce with your playing. You are there to play and pick out a good tuba.

8) Before you leave, share with the salesman some of your observations and what else you are looking for. You liked the MW 2000 because of it's a lighter sound than the MW 2155 you tried, but it is just out of your price range. I have an awesome silver plated MW 2155 tucked in a case that has a lighter sound than normal. Are you going to leave that baby up to someone else to snag because they asked? There might be yet something else that is just what you want but not a brand you were interested in.

8a) It's rude to leave and not say goodnight to your host. Why would you not take a minute to say thanks for letting me play all of your [the store's] tubas and goodby? You didn't pocket a mouthpiece and want to make a quick exit, right?

If you act like that, you will be welcomed back to any store. Even if you didn't buy a horn today.

Most of my customers offer this information. The ones who don't I ask. I also ask people to take off watches when they test my tubas. The finger prints left behind, are a cost of gaining your business.
Matt

Follow Ups: