Re: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on June 15, 2002 at 19:14:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Frederick J. Young on June 15, 2002 at 13:07:52:

Dr. Young,

I find your arguments most interesting, and you may very well be correct. However, when one is playing rapid scales, it's my opinion that the audience is not hearing the intonation of those scales very well at all. When tubaists use their tuning slides, it's usually for slower music - whole notes; half notes; quarter notes, etc. I myself play a 3 + 1 configured, Boosey compensating Eb. I have to tell you, I've really grown tired of it - ergonomically speaking - even when using a stand. I think that Jay makes some good points as well. So many people have said such good things about the Willson Eb, that there truly must be something going for it. In addition, I've listened to Marty Erickson play the daylights out of his Willson Eb, while playing a bunch of old jazz standards on his own self-produced CD. I certainly didn't notice any tuning problems. Surely there must be room for both types of solutions to the same common problems.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: