Re: Re: Low Db

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 30, 2001 at 00:05:51:

In Reply to: Re: Low Db posted by js on November 29, 2001 at 23:07:26:

You are right about the flare, less right about the throat, in my situation

I do not have a CC (but I can deduce by transposition), and the only instrument, where I use "false notes", is my 3 valve 26K Conn sousa. My other low conical instruments have 4 valves.

My first introduction to "false notes" was by a trumpet player. The fingerings he recommended implied, that the open "false note" was a major third below the 2nd partial.

What however made things work for me, was Claude Gordon’s book on range. His implied open "false note" would be a 1.5th partial, that is the note an octave below the 3rd partial and a fourth below the 2nd partial. Works well on trumpets and small bore trombones.

A lot of years ago I had met a Schenkelaars dutchmade bellfront euph that had its open "false note" a fifth below the 2nd partial. But I did not take that seriously, as that instrument was weird in its partials anyway.

So I was quite surprised to learn, that this placement of the open "false note" is the standard pattern for tubas.

Are there any theories why the placement of the open "false note" varies between large and small brasses?

Klaus

Follow Ups: