Re: Re: Re: Yamaha is making a marching Euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on September 22, 2003 at 01:26:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yamaha is making a marching Euph posted by Peter on September 22, 2003 at 00:41:37:

To my ears, the Kanstul-equipped Bb lines have come the closest to fooling me that they were in G, but that's getting pretty nitpicky.

At least King is getting back into it, with a new line developed with Phantom for the 2003 season. Word is that their euphs & tubas are top-notch, with the tubas even being an adaptation of King's vaunted 1980's-era K90 contrabass bugle (corps have kept their 2-valve K90's even after converting the rest of their hornline to 3v horns).

Relevant Phantom Regiment/tuba pedagogy link:
http://www.regiment.org/story.cfm?ID=3

I've also been told that Cavaliers have been marching a new Yamaha tuba developed with Marty Erickson, and it's a pretty good horn as well.

Why whould we care on this BBS, though? Because this new generation of Bb marching low brass is finally getting up to the standards of sound that the G horns have enjoyed in the past. Hopefully, tromboniums (those treated as a substitute for real baris & euphs), over-the-shoulder convertible euphoniums, and 3/4 (and 1/2) size P.O.S. marching tubas will be melted down to produce letter openers and doorknobs.

Follow Ups: