Low F in Mahler 1, First Mvt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on December 04, 2000 at 11:47:52:

In the first movement, after counting several thousand (seemed like it) measures of rests, the tuba comes in on a low F (4 ledgers below the staff). It is a very exposed entrance and is intended to be played very softly. Mahler even puts in a note that if the tuba can't play soft enough, give it to the contrabasoon (I think, its in german and not in front of me right now.) On a large horn, it is always difficult to make that note speak clearly AND play it as soft as it deserves to be played after resting for so long. Here is my quesion:
**HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED IT ON AN F TUBA?**
You would usually have your F (or Eb) ready anyway for the third movement solo, so why not pick it up for that note and play a nice gentle pedal F? It seems to be able to come out a lot quieter open on a little horn than on a big horn routed through several extra feet of valves.
Would I get scorned at by the conductor and mocked by the brass section if I did this, or is it an acceptable approach?

Thanks for reading this lenghty question, I appreciate as many answers as possible, BUT Please don't tell me to practice more or how to play soft, I am just curious to see if anyone ever took this approach and if it works. When I studied privately, I never thought of asking this question even though I spent a lot of time on Mahler 1, always on the big horn except for the solo. I haven't had the pleasure to play Mahler 1 in years and may not the rest of my life, this is just a question I have been pondering a lot lately.

Follow Ups: