More freshman tuba questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Debbie on November 10, 2003 at 13:26:04:

Once again I would like to thank everyone for helping with our "tuba education."

We are just about to finalize the purchase of a Getzen G50 C five valve tuba for our high school son. He plays in both concert band and orchestra at school, which provides B flat tubas.

Here is my current question - should he plan on taking his Getzen back and forth to school each day, or should he play the school instrument at school and practice on the Getzen at home?

If it makes a difference, he seems fairly adept already at changing between the fingerings, but I wonder if that will hold up as the pieces become more complex which is happening now that they split the freshman band into two with significantly more challenging music for the top band. Getting his tuba there is not a big deal as I drop him off an hour early for jazz band (in which he takes his trombone), but getting him home will be a bit of a challenge (as unfortunaltely I work an hour away.)

Also, for his first orchestra concert last month he struggled with one of the pieces that had a lot of sharps - will the C tuba help here some?

Follow Ups: