Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 06, 2003 at 09:31:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Our business posted by yeah... on May 06, 2003 at 07:52:58:

Well, as an IT professional who spent six of the last twelve months unable to earn a plug nickel, then returned to work for a paycut that has me envying the Houston orchestra BIG-time, let me tell you that there is no guarantee of a good income in that business.

To the degree that there is a demand for tuba players, they make a living wage. The fact is that there is a DEMAND for doctors. People are willing to pay for their services, because they perceive a need for those services. Supply is catching up with the demand, and doctoring isn't as financially rewarding as it once was, however. As to policemen ... you've really hit a nerve with me there. Not only is there a demand for their services, not only is enforcing the laws a VALID function of government, but the relative importance of any orchestra pales compared to the importance of the work done by the police. Of course being a musician requires risk and sacrifice; but it doesn't serve your case well to compare the risks musicans take or the sacrifices musicians make to the risks and sacrifices of law enforcement officers (or firemen, or soldiers). I know this better than most. Twenty years ago yesterday we buried my brother, who was a Dallas policeman shot and killed in the line of duty. His pay was such that he had to work several part-time jobs on the side to make ends meet, but I never heard him complain. He knew about the low pay and the risks when he chose that career, but that's what he wanted to do.

It seems as though you believe that if a person works hard at something, they should be compensated -- and compensated WELL -- for it. That's silly! Suppose a guy works hard to become just a great accordian player. Can I have some of your money so he can make a living wage? I work really, really hard on my lawn; don't you think SOMEONE -- never mind who, taxpayers I guess -- should pay me a living wage for that?

Ridiculous.

Joe Baker, who is thinking a lot these days about what things are important.

Follow Ups: