Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Hildebrand on March 09, 2003 at 17:45:15:

I haven't played tuba in over 25 years but never stopped loving it. The divorce will be final soon, and I am going through my "second childhood". My friends all got fancy sports cars when this happened to them, but I want to get a really nice tuba.

I am debating whether to get a BBb or a CC. Obviously, I learned on the BBb, but it has been such a long time ago, that I suspect the CC shouldn't be too hard to learn (I would have to "relearn" the fingering again anyway after such a long time).

I was pretty good in high shcool, but let's face it...I will never play in Carnegie Hall. I expect to play in church, the civic band, or orchestra. However, I would still like to have a nice "semi-profesional" tuba that I could be proud to take anywhere.

It seems like mid-level used CC tubas sell for less than comparable BBb tubas, at least on the unnamed auction sites.

I am interested in comments concerning BBb vs. CC for my particular case. To muddy things further, I learned on a piston tuba. Any thoughts on the merits of piston vs rotor would also be appreciated (again, as it would relate in this particular case). I have looked at some of the archives, but these seem to address professional musicians more than amateurs.

Thanks,

Jeff "Lamborghini's don't come in BBb" Hildebrand

Follow Ups: